Basic Purpose: UU World is the quarterly magazine of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations. In addition to the print magazine, UU World publishes a weekly online version of the magazine at uuworld.org. Interns at UU World will receive valuable experience with both print and online publications, their name on the magazine’s masthead, and clips for their portfolios.
Learning Goals: In the role of editorial assistant, the Intern will:
- Gain practical experience of a wide range of publication tasks, including fact checking, proofing, editing, simple html markup, photo research and acquisition, and general office duties.
- Learn how to work to a deadline in an office environment.
- Fine-tune writing and interviewing skills and gain portfolio clips by researching and writing articles for the print and online magazine.
- Be responsible for compiling and posting a weekly news blog.
- Depending on academic focus, learn and apply back-end skills, such as content management system and photo editing.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor(s), the Director of Communications, the Executive Vice President, or the President.
Qualifications: Applicants must have some school or job experience in publications, preferably in journalistic capacities. Preference is given to higher levels of experience and ability. A professional manner, the ability to follow directions with minimal supervision, and general Internet skills are key to success. Applicants need not be affiliated with Unitarian Universalism, but a familiarity with it is helpful. Interns must be available to work in our downtown Boston office. Hours and start/end dates are flexible. Note that this is an unpaid internship, which may be eligible for credit depending on the requirements of your college or university. If your academic institution requires internship reports from us, we would be happy to provide them.
How to Apply: People with disabilities, people of color, Hispanic/Latino/Latina and L/G/B/T/I/Q/Q candidates are encouraged to apply. Please submit the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- At least two writing samples (one published and one academic)
- Three references
Send your submission via email—indicating “UU World Intern” in the subject line—to email@example.com, via fax to (617) 367-3237, or to Human Resources, Unitarian Universalist Association, 25 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02108. E-mail submissions preferred.
About the UUA: The Unitarian Universalist Association is an historic, progressive, religious denomination located on Boston’s Beacon Hill. Our faith community of more than 1,000 self-governing congregations brings to the world a vision of religious freedom, tolerance, and social justice. We are a great place to work and are seeking to increase the diversity of our staff. The UUA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information on the UUA, visit us online at UUA.org.