Brief congregational news items from the Spring 2013 issue.
Sanctuary celebrated in Rochester
On November 18 the First Unitarian Church of Rochester, N.Y., celebrated the 50th anniversary of its Louis Kahn building. The church is widely recognized as an architecturally significant structure and is regularly visited and studied by architects and students from around the world. The building was commissioned in the late 1950s when the original downtown church was demolished. Vowing to rebuild, the church hired Kahn to design the new church.
To celebrate, Terrance Goode, architect and associate professor at the School of Architecture at Syracuse University provided a lecture. A video was taken of members who have been with the church since it was built, and a member has purchased a plaque in the building’s honor.
Amherst readies for renovation
The UU Society of Amherst of Amherst, Mass., has raised $1.8 million in preparation for the renovations to its main building. The church is committed to remain downtown to appeal to students at the three colleges in town. The building was built in 1893 and last renovated in 1925. The new building renovations will add about 6,000 square feet and will include a social hall, new kitchen, accessible bathrooms, new offices, religious education classrooms, and an elevator. Church members deliberated the fate of its two famous stained glass windows during the renovation: members voted to keep the Tiffany, but will sell the La Farge. The church plans to break ground in May.
This article appeared in the Spring 2013 issue of UU World (page 44).Comments powered by Disqus